LinkedIn is becoming the go-to social media platform for professionals, with two professionals joining the platform every second between 2016-2018, which equates to 123 million new users in two years. To put this growth into context, twitter gained 9 million new users in the same time period.
Particularly if you are a B2B business, LinkedIn is going to be the main social media platform that your customers are actively using. By using the LinkedIn Insight tag you will have:
- A deeper understanding of your audience
- Be able to optimise your campaigns
- You will be able to re-target to website visitors on LinkedIn
Integrating the LinkedIn Insight tag with your website is super easy, we are going to do this using Google Tag Manager.
If you don't already have Google Tag Manager set-up on your website, you can check out our guide of how to do this here.
With all of that said, let’s get to it!
- Login to LinkedIn campaign manager https://www.linkedin.com/campaignmanager/
- Click the account name you'd like to set up website retargeting, conversion tracking, or website demographics for.
- Click the Account Assets tab in the top navigation bar and select Insight Tag from the dropdown.
- If you already see your website listed on this page, you already have the LinkedIn insight tag installed on your website. It would be beneficial for you to remove the tag from your website, and re-connect it using Google Tag Manager to have all of your tags stored in a centralised location.
- Click the Manage Insight Tag dropdown and select See Tag.
- Click I will use a tag manager.
- Your partner ID will be listed in a box. Click on the box to copy your partner ID to your clipboard.
- Login to Google Tag Manager
- Click on add new tag and name it LinkedIn Insights
- Click Tag Configuration and search for LinkedIn Insight
- Paste the Partner ID from step 6 into the Partner ID box.
- Under triggering, select all pages
- Save your tag.
- Return to the Insight Tag page (step 3) and you should see your websites domain now listed here. It may take up to 24 hours to see your domain here, depending on website traffic.
Great, now you have the LinkedIn Insight tag connected to your website!
There are lot’s of things you can do now, here are some usefull links if you want to get the most out of your new tag:
- Set up conversion tracking https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/67514
- Understand your audience https://business.linkedin.com/marketing-solutions/website-demographics
- Set up retargeting https://business.linkedin.com/marketing-solutions/ad-targeting/website-retargeting
In next week's process, we will be showing you how to connect your Tag Manager account to Google analytics in order to start analysing all of the new data that you are collecting!
See you there :)
Think a friend or colleague would find this useful?
Share it with them using the social links below!