Every inbound marketing guru is talking about the benefits of blogging as a tool for generating leads. There's no denying it works - when done correctly. If you've tried blogging but are not seeing the results you were expecting, try these five easy tricks to ensure your blog is generating the leads you want.
Many thanks to our friends at website analytics tool TruConversion for this article!
According to a Nurture HQ report, generating high-quality, sales-ready leads is one of the top three objectives for 60% marketers and the highest priority for 26% of marketers. Given the fact that 63% marketers turn to content marketing for generating leads, it wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that business blogging has become important than ever.
Still not convinced that blogging will help you generate high-quality leads? Don’t really get what the hoo-ha about business blogging is? After all, you’ve been doing just fine with your sales team taking care of lead generation.
Here, we present to you just 5 persuasive statistics that will make you understand why investing in blogs could be the smartest move for your business. It will help you convert your brand from being “just fine” to great.
So, let’s talk numbers now…
- Businesses that blog receive 67% more leads than those that don’t.
- 57% companies have acquired customers from their blog.
- 82% marketers who blog see positive ROI.
- By writing 21-54 blog posts, you can increase blog traffic by up to 30%.
- Within the next year, blogging is expected to gain a 50% increase in users.
With statistics like these in hand, you can’t really argue that your business won’t benefit from blogging. No matter what industry you are in or what type of business you’re running, blogging is an essential and inexpensive way to drive torrent of traffic to your site, and generate more and more high-quality leads.
But is it that easy?
The answer is a resounding NO! It’s no mean feat to attract traffic to your website, convince people to become subscribers and convert subscribers into leads, all with your blogs. Remember, 96% visitors to your site are cold. That means they aren’t really ready to subscribe, or buy from your site, at least that very instant.
So, how will you turn these 96% people into paying customers? The answer is simple: you’ll need to learn how you can harness the power of blogs for lead generation.
Here are 5 advanced yet easy to follow ways to help you increase your visibility and attract more visitors to your site. While these tips aren’t a silver bullet, they will definitely help you convert your traffic into leads.
# 1: strategically place opt-in forms
To generate leads from your blogs, you’ll need to engage and re-engage your visitors and nurture them. But how will you understand if your visitor is ready to be engaged or re-engaged? This is where opt-in forms come to your rescue! Opt-in forms can help you know instantly whether your visitors are interested in your blogs or not.
An opt-in form is an online form that your visitors fill voluntarily to further receive notifications about your blogs in their inbox.
By strategically placing your opt-in forms around your blog content, you can easily guide visitors to subscribe, thereby bridging the gap between a stranger to your website and a converted lead. There are several areas on your blog where you can place your opt-in forms such as header, sidebar, bottom of the blog posts, or your footer.
Here’s an example of Unbounce. The popular landing page software creator strategically places its opt-in form in the sidebar and footer to encourage visitors to subscribe and try its software.
Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your opt-in forms.
- Put Opt-in Forms in a Prominent Spots: Remember, if visitors aren’t able to see your form, they wouldn’t sign up ever. That why, it’s vital to ensure that your visitors are able to locate your opt-in form easily.
- Keep it Short: Now, this may sound like a cliché, but it makes sense to keep your forms as short as possible. Remember, most visitors shy away from long opt-in forms. So, only ask for the most relevant information.
- Ensure Value Proposition: Remember, people get dozens of email every day. So, why should they sign up to receive more information from you? That’s why you need to clearly and concisely detail the benefits of signing up. Tell your visitors how they’ll benefit from your emails.
# 2: optimise your blog for search engines
– Just writing and publishing blogs isn’t enough to make your blog visible on SERPs. You’ll need to constantly update and optimise your blog to boost its visibility. Sadly, a large number of business bloggers fail to consistently update and optimise their blogs. As a result, they are left in the dust.
Remember, by updating fresh, relevant content and performing SEO optimization, you can turn your blog into a lead bait. Remember, only when your blogs rank high on SERPs, you’ll be able to drive to traffic to your site and earn more leads, sales and revenue.
Don’t forget 70% of buyers use search engines at the beginning of their purchase process.
Contrary to what most people think, optimizing blogs to generate leads is a complete no-brainer. Check out these simple tips to optimise your blog for maximum lead generation.
- Research Keywords: Remember, finding the best keywords for your industry is essential for blog optimization. By using valuable, relevant keywords, you’ll be able to delight both the readers and the search engine crawlers indexing your content. Include relevant keywords in your titles, headings and subheadings, anchor text, title tags and Meta descriptions. But refrain from keyword stuffing for it may get you penalised by Google.
- Optimise Blog Images: Not many bloggers do it, but optimizing your blog images is an essential practice. Whenever you add or insert a photo in your blog, don’t forget to include a relevant keywords in its file name and fill in the ‘Alt Text’ field with a short, keyword optimised description of the image.
- Include High-Quality Links: It is good idea to mention high-quality sources in your blogs. But don’t forget to include a link for the sources or references you’re mentioning in your blog. This will help you ensure your chances of ranking higher on search engine results pages.
#3: market your blog like a boss
– More and more businesses, marketers and bloggers across verticals and industries creating blogs. Look around and you’ll see that everyone is in a maddening frenzy of creating blogs to compete to grab the same eyeballs and your blog is just one
Remember, the adage “build it and they will come” is already a passé! Approximately 95% blogs fail. This is because there are over 2 billion internet users and large fraction of them still don’t know if your blog exists. So, how will you capture the attention of those who don’t know that you exist? How will you make sure your blogging strategies make you stand out from the crowd? The answer is simple! You'll need to market your blogs like a pro.
Luckily, you have a number of creative options available at your disposal when it comes to marketing your blog content like a pro. Some of the most successful strategies to market your blog are guest blogging, social media and blogger outreach. But you essentially need to do all of them. Identify the ones that are really worth your time and resources.
It’s all about driving targeted traffic to your blog and getting them to become interested in what you’re offering and nothing else!
Before you take the deeper plunge and get started, take a moment and heed these important tips to stay ahead of your competitors and turn your blog into an essential go-to source for your readers.
- Explore Content Snippets: Use pieces or data points from your blog and share it on social media to build curiosity for your blog. Share at least 20 such snippets and data points on your social media.
- Collaborate With Influencers: Before you publish your blog, reach out to industry influencers and request them for their point of view on the topic. Use these influencer quotes to give you blog that extra push.
- Use Paid Channels: Paid content channels can spur engagements right from the outset. Content amplification channels such as ‘Outbrain’ and ‘Stumble Upon Paid Discovery’ can get help you reach audiences everywhere, boost brand awareness, promote thought leadership, and drive leads.
#4: don’t forget to utilise CTAs
Call-to-action (CTA) is the key component that guides your users to take that desired action on your blogs. The very purpose of a call-to-action button is guide your customers to take your desired action.
Remember, if your CTAs fail to capture users’ attention and tempt them to click, then all your efforts will go down the drain.
A blog post without a CTA is a like a banner ad without catchy images. People will read it, but it wouldn’t help you generate leads. Remember, a great call to action is an extension of your blog posts.
After providing information, suggestions and advice on a topic through your blog post, you provide a CTA requesting your readers to sign up for your emails. But here it is important to ensure that your call to actions are not abrupt as it may create negative emotions and discourage lead generation.
Crazy Egg’s brilliant “Show Me My Heatmap” call to action is a great example of how you can effectively use CTA to compel your users into taking the desired action.
You’ll need to make your CTAs stand out and at the same time convince your visitors to click your CTA button. Here are some tips to do it perfectly.
- Use Action-Oriented Copy: Be creative with your CTA copy and select actionable words or phrases to tempt visitors into taking the desired action. Use words that provoke emotion or enthusiasm. But don’t forget to keep your button copy short.
- Be Smart With Colors: Make sure that the color of CTA button stands out. You may try experimenting with contrasting color schemes to make your CTAs stand out. No matter, what colors you try, don’t forget to keep it consistent with your branding.
- Consider the Size: A great CTA should be large enough to get the attention of your audience. But it shouldn’t be too big to become that a distraction. Test your CTA size to understand what works better with your audiences, whether your audiences like a bigger CTA button or a smaller one.
#5: ensure you have a pop-up
Contrary to the popular notion, pop-up windows doesn’t affect the bounce rate at all. In fact, pop-ups boost subscriptions. A study by Dan Zarrella found that pop-ups don’t affect a site’s bounce rate. But subscription rates fall flat when the popup is removed.
Using Pop-ups may double the signup rate and insignificantly change the bounce rate.
Though there are some who aren’t too fond of popups, a vast majority of others are used to them. As long as your pop-ups aren’t too difficult to close, visitors wouldn’t mind them. It would help you subscribe those who are interested and filer the ones who aren’t.
Here’s an example of how a perfect pop-up should look like in order to generate leads and encourage subscriptions.
The best popups are those that provide clearly state what the subscriber will receive after filling them up. It is essential to get acquainted with the best practices of popups to ensure maximum lead generation with minimum efforts.
Here are a few tips that you must keep in mind before you get started with pop-ups.
- Provide Just One Value Proposition: Focus on offering just one value proposition in your popups. Therefore, it is important to be direct with your offer. But refrain from being too pushy. Remember, majority of visitors often look for clear, and honest offers.
- Ask for Less Data: Keep your pop-up forms simple to boost conversions of your popups. Use lesser fields so that your users are able to fill the form quickly and easily. Remember, asking for too much information may discourage users for most people are hesitant about providing too much information on a site.
- Time It Right: Timing is everything with popups. Getting your pop-ups to appear at the right time can spell the difference between success and failure for your lead generation efforts. Remember, a compelling offer right the time when the visitor needs it may increases your conversions manifold.
Wrapping it up!
Generating leads with your blog is easier said than done. But if you’re able to successfully master these simple tips, you’ll definitely be able to drive in torrents of traffic to your site and maximise your leads. But this isn’t an overnight process and you’ll need to be really patient. Don’t leave your efforts midway if you don’t score an early success. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Be patient, follow these tips and keep posting your blogs regularly with a decisive plan and soon you will experience more and more people coming to your website.